Friday, September 18, 2009

blue, buttons, baubles, and ring boxes


Front door before:

door1

and After!!! 

blue door!

The blue looks lighter here than it does in person. It is a very pretty blue and I will try and photograph it again this afternoon to see if it does it justice. I found a polystain in walnut at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $2.99. I dipped just the ends of my brush in the stain and then lightly painted it on, applying a bit more in cracks and crevices. I wiped it off with a rag for just a slight stain. I will get better pictures later. These blue doors look pretty on my darkly painted home. Now I just have to figure out how to take the tint off my glass doors. Let me know what you think! Just don't tell me that you liked the glossy red way better. :o)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday my mom and I went on a road trip. She had to drive to a business meeting and I followed her part way. We drove through my hometown, and then on through several small towns, and then finally reached Fort Scott, KS. It is such a cute town! Weekends are the best time to visit, as several antique places were only open on Saturday and Sunday. That didn't stop us though! I have some funny/sentimental stories to share about our trip, but for now I will just tell you bout the treasures!

We stopped at one of the small towns along the way. We sifted through a "treasure chest" that was 75% crapyadon'twant and 25% vintage/antique goodness. This tin was laying on the floor, and I noticed it because it matched this tin. I bent down to pick it up and it was surprisingly heavy...
what? a matching tin?

To my delight, I opened it and discovered it was full of buttons and baubles and jewels! I was thrilled to see that it was under $10! Brooklyn and I will sort these together. (After Charlotte has gone to bed. :o)
full of  vintage buttons, baubles and jewels

I picked a few of my favorites off the top. There are some really great vintage buttons in here, and some I believe are victorian. I'm fairly certain the black fabric button at the bottom is... 

Sorting buttons is therapeutic. I plan to use these in all sorts of ways, but I can't wait to make some jewelry with them! One of my favorite blogs to read is the flower patch farmgirl blog. Click here to see her creative way with vintage buttons!
vintage buttons

Do you remember when I mentioned vintage ring boxes? I love them to pieces. The two in the background I already had. My mom and I were talking about what things we would like to find on our trip, and I said I would like to find a ring box. I mean, I needed three to be official right?

The first place we stopped in Fort Scott my mom found one. Just one in a quiet place that you  wouldn't really notice. The sticker on the bottom said NFS. Flea queens loathe the NFS sign. If it isn't for sale, why put it with a bunch of things that are for sale? The girl saw me looking at it and asked her mom if she would sell it. She obliged, and one song later the little white ring box in front was coming home with me! It has plum colored velvety fabric inside. I'm loving plum this fall...
vintage ring boxes!

I got back and went to pick up the girls. I was sharing my delight over my ring box and buttons with my grandma. She made her way back to her room and brought out the black one! It originally held a wedding set! I was surprised that she had one that she and grandpa used. This is a treasure that means a lot to me, and I feel so honored to have it.
vintage ring boxes!

I have one more treasure to show you, but she's not ready for her close up yet.

The best treasure of the day was the time with my mom. I love spending days with my mom, laughing and sharing, eating too much, searching for treasures. And boy did we laugh! It looks like we will be making a trip to California next month! 

Yesterday was my BFather's birthday. Happy Birthday! I hope there is a big party for you in heaven...

Now there is a baby with a blinky and a blanky laying down by me. It must be time to rockabye.


1 comment:

  1. That button box - what a FIND! I would have hyperventilated. You should totally frame some of them up. :) I also made a fun vintage button bracelet a while back. (I think it's somewhere on my blog? It was back in Jan.) Thanks for the shout out, by the way. And the blue door is WAYYY better!

    ReplyDelete