Sunday, March 14, 2010

Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?

I love sesame street. I really love it. I spent hours watching it as a little girl, and I am certain that is how I learned all my letters and numbers before kindergarten. My great-grandma had to watch the news, and a soap or two, but I always got to watch sesame street.
Charlotte's recent stay in the hospital meant she got to watch a lot of television. Previously, it was a rare occasion to watch TV. I let the girls watch Saturday morning cartoons- but that was about it. A week in the hospital with nothing but a tv means a lot of cartoon watching. She loves Bob-Bob. (More commonly known as spongebob.) She requests him on an almost daily basis now. "I watch bob-bob, mamma?"
The other day, we watched sesame street. She now loves Elmo. It had been quite awhile since I had watched my long time friends. I caught myself smiling many times. Wouldn't it be nice to live in such a place? Where grown-ups are almost always happy? Everyone is friends with everyone, and even if you're grouchy people love you anyway? Singing and dancing are prerequisites for living in the neighborhood? I wish we could keep our world that way. I wish that we stayed childlike and that we never had to grow aware of this real world. I'd take a walk with Big Bird any day. Fortunately, I am lucky enough to have two daughters who see the world like sesame street and it makes me really happy to stop and view the world through their little bitty eyes every now and again. It refreshes my spirit- which longs to stay childlike.
I have also had a prompting of my spirit lately. You know, when you feel as though you will burst if you don't move in some direction, that you crave change more than you long to be comfortable. My spirit aches for purpose and for me that means the opportunity to help other people. My spirit longs for community, for others who are moving in the same direction- others who want to make the real world a little more like sesame street.

Sunny Day Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet
Can you tell me how to get, How to get to Sesame Street?
Come and play Everything's A-OK
Friendly neighbors there,
That's where we meet
Can you tell me how to get How to get to Sesame Street?
It's a magic carpet ride
Every door will open wide
To Happy people like you-- Happy people like
What a beautiful
Sunny Day Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet
Can you tell me how to get, How to get to Sesame street?
How to get to Sesame Street?

No comments:

Post a Comment