Monday, August 17, 2009

Slow Cooker Triberry Cobbler

Last night was Emily and Brian's engagement party! It was such a good evening, and it made me happy to see her so happy! There was a feast of food, (I am still dreaming about Emily's ham. It was ohmygraciousgood!) and I brought a cobbler as requested by the lovely couple.

Now, there are many variations on cobbler. I went with the old standby, Paula Deen. I modified her recipe a bit, and it was delicious. It didn't take long for it to disappear. The nice thing about this cobbler was that it was a slow cooker cobbler, which makes it ideal for keeping warm and potlucks.


Slow Cooker Triberry Cobbler

Ingredients:
1 - 12 oz pkg. frozen blueberries
1 - 12 oz pkg. frozen raspberries
1 - 12 oz pkg. frozen blackberries
1 c  sugar
1/2 c  baking mix

Topping:
2 1/4 c  baking mix
1/4 c  sugar
4 tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 c  milk
2 tsp. cinnamon + 1/4 c sugar

***Spray your crockpot generously with nonstick cooking spray. This is important.***
In a large mixing bowl, combine berries, sugar, and baking mix. Stir to coat the berries. (The baking mix acts as the thickening agent.) I used a cup of sugar and the recipe was still a bit tart, which is how I like it. Add more or less sugar to your preferred taste. (I didn't know, so I will just note that baking mix is found near the flour. I used Pioneer Brand buttermilk biscuit and baking mix. 
Dump your berry mixture in the crockpot.
Now, in a separate large mixing bowl, combine 2 1/4 c baking mix, 1/4 c sugar, the melted butter (just zap in the microwave for 33 sec.),  and the 1/2 c milk. You can stir with a spoon or combine with your hands until you get that lumpy doughy texture. Make sure everything is mixed together but don't over do it. Just drop clumps on top of the berries. Be sure your clumps aren't too thick. (If you have thick balls of dough in some places the topping won't cook evenly and you will wind up with some doughy parts when other parts are done. So just try to make the dropped topping a uniform thickness.) Next combine the 2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 c sugar and let your daughter sprinkle it all over the topping. This is an important part.
Cook on high four 3-4 hours. 

Serve with your favorite vanilla icecream!

Really, this is a yummy *simple* cobbler and everyone loved it. I even had some recipe requests. Of course I referred them to Paula...

Two more days till Brooklyn starts Kindergarten. I am very very very sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment