Saturday, April 4, 2009

some of my favorite things

Remember when I said I had a great "coming home" story to share? Well, a few days before I left for Baltimore the girls, Austin (I will tell you more about him in a minute :o) and I went to a local antique mall. I had been wanting a yo yo quilt for quite a while. I spotted this one, checked the price (which was considerably lower than I had seen them before) and looked it over. The fabrics and their patterns look to be from around the 1940s. Overall the quilt was in great shape with no stains and all the yo yos present. I shopped with it in my cart and just before we left I decided to put it back. While it was at a great price, I just didn't want to spend that much. At our next stop, I found the very old baby coat with matching hat and hand warmer. It was hanging on a hook behind the counter. I asked the lady if it was for sale. (I have a collection of old baby dresses/sweaters/hats/shoes in Charlie's room.) Indeed it was, but I was trying not spend money before my trip and reluctantly passed it up. Austin told me I would regret it if I didn't buy it. I was a little sad as we left.

I got home from our drive back from Kansas City really late. I was so happy to see my girls and Austin. After lots of hugs and kisses, I even made him wake Charlotte up. Four days seemed like such a long time. Austin said, "hey, I have a surprise for you..." and then pointed to our living room. He had gone back and bought the things I really wanted! I was so overwhelmed with getting to see my family, and how totally sweet it was of him to go back and buy those things for me, so I just cried. He said he just wanted to do something nice for me. He wanted me to feel special. And that I did. 

That is an authentic strawberry shortcake lunchbox from 1981. It is so sweet. When I was a kid, there were three kinds of toys I really liked: strawberry shortcake, my little pony, and cabbage patch kids. I only picked up the lunch box for a second...somebody was paying attention. He can be pretty sweet, I must say. 

Now I am just trying to decide where to put my beautiful quilt...

I thought I would go ahead and share some more of my favorite things in Charlie's room:


*old baby book from the 1920's. Lots of entries and pictures included. I felt so sad that nobody had wanted to save this. I loved the light green-blue color and the sweet baby picture. The graphics inside are so sweet, as are the entries from mom. My mom bought this for me on an antiquing trip for $10. I would have paid more. 

*old peach celluloid baby brush

*old block toy. It has such neat pictures. There were only a handful of these left and this was the only one with a "C". The letter on the other side was an "O" and so I had to buy it! (Charlotte Opal)

*cute little baby doll, very old. I fell in love with this little baby the first time I laid eyes on her. I actually found her at a DAV. Unfortunately, it was the one in town that seems to price things too high. She was behind the checkout counter in a glass case. I was sure she would be way to much for me. I had to ask...$8.97!!!! I bought her on the spot. She has the cutest little dress and little light blue panties.



The small shelf used to be brown, I think creamy white suits it better.

*vintage lamb with blush pink bow. I loved her at first sight as well. Her coat has the neatest texture. She was just perfect for my baby girl's room.

Alright, I'm off to snuggle Austin with some popcorn and a movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment